Carry On - Rainbow Rowell : Review


Title: Carry On

Author: Rainbow Rowell

Series or Standalone: Standalone

Genre: Young-Adult, Fantasy

Format: Paperback

Publication Date: October 6th 2015







Goodreads Summary:
Simon Snow is the worst chosen one who’s ever been chosen.

That’s what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he’s probably right.

Half the time, Simon can’t even make his wand work, and the other half, he sets something on fire. His mentor’s avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there’s a magic-eating monster running around wearing Simon’s face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here—it’s their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon’s infuriating nemesis didn’t even bother to show up.

Carry On is a ghost story, a love story, a mystery and a melodrama. It has just as much kissing and talking as you’d expect from a Rainbow Rowell story—but far, far more monsters.

My Review:
I loved this book. It took me back to my Hogwarts days. Everything about this book had me captivated. I loved how clever Rainbow Rowell was at telling the present as well as informing the reader about what had happened in the past so we understand everything. 

The characters in this book were amazing, Simon was a very strong and powerful character. At some points of the book I was unsure about him and I enjoyed playing a little guessing game.  I loved Baz and I was captivated by his thoughts and feelings, as well as the friendship between Penelope and Simon which was one of my favourites and I adored it! Although, Agatha annoyed me a lot, but I don't think the book would have worked without her.

The plot was intense and actually had me confused at some points, but I caught up to it once it was explained over and over. I was actually surprised at many things that happened in the book. I thought I would be predicting a lot of things, but no it was like i was jump-scared throughout reading this book. (It felt as if there were many plot twists!)

The relationship between Baz and Simon was the thing that I loved the most about this book. I won't say anymore becuase I don't want to spoil you!!! 

I thought this book was amazing and a great quick and entertaining read. I was so close to giving it 5 stars, but I just didn't think it felt exactly like a 5 star book so I ended up giving it 4.5. I would actually love to see a whole entire book written on Baz because his character was unbelievably wonderful. (I kinda have a small crush on him, that is very very pointless and not only because he is a fictional character!) 



Plot: ★★★★

Characters: ★★★★★

Writing: ★★★★★

Feels/Romance: ★★★★.5


Overall Enjoyment: ★★★★.5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer - Book Review

Class of 59' - John A. Heldt : Book Review

BOOK REVIEWS