Class of 59' - John A. Heldt : Book Review


Title: Class of 59'

Author: John A. Heldt

Series or Standalone: Standalone

Genre: Science Fiction, Time Travel & Romance

Format: E-Book


Publication Date: September 2nd 2016







Goodreads Summary: When Mary Beth McIntire settles into a vacation house on June 2, 2017, she anticipates a quiet morning with coffee. Then she hears a noise, peers out a window, and spots a man in 1950s attire standing in the backyard. She panics when the trespasser sees her and enters the house though a door to the basement. She questions her sanity when she cannot find him.

In the same house on March 21, 1959, Mark Ryan finds a letter. Written by the mansion’s original owner in 1900, the letter describes a basement chamber, mysterious crystals, and a formula for time travel. Driven by curiosity, Mark tests the formula twice. On his second trip to 2017, he encounters a beautiful stranger. He meets the woman in the window.

Within hours, Mary Beth and Mark share their secret with her sister and his brother and begin a journey that takes them from the present day to the age of sock hops, drive-ins, and jukeboxes. In CLASS OF ’59, the fourth book in the American Journey series, four young adults find love, danger, and adventure as they navigate the corridors of time and experience Southern California in its storied prime.

My Review: I was sent this novel by the author to read and review and I am very happy I did get to read it. The concept of time travel and science fiction is not something I read very often so it was quite different and enjoyably new for me to read. I felt as the story progressed throughout the novel, the main thing that stood out was the character development and the evolving relationships between the sisters and the brothers as well as with each other. This novel reminded me of Back To The Future in the sense of the complication, but eventually spanned into its own story which I appreciated.

The best component of reading this book was that there was many potential endings, I had no idea how the story would end. I never knew what was coming next and that made me eager to continue the book. Another, element of the novel I liked was how the author never dragged out scenes or was too descriptive. He got to the point of whatever he was saying and it was well written and entertaining. This made the book more fast-paced and readable. 

The relationship between both the sisters and the brothers separately progressed into a much stronger and healthier relationship due to the circumstances and the experiences they were having. Part of the novel was set in the 50's so I got a bit of a history lesson whilst reading and it was very interesting as I enjoy history very much. I am happy with how the plot progressed and how the novel concluded. I was not left asking questions which is something that can sometimes make or break my thoughts on a book. I am very glad I read this novel and thank you to the author for allowing me to read your novel. I appreciate it very much.


Plot: ★★★.5

Characters: ★★★★★

Writing: ★★★★.5

Feels/Romance: ★★★★.5

Overall Enjoyment: ★★★.75

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer - Book Review

Friday Reads: 24/02/2017